Friday, November 16, 2012

Reflective Journal #7: Learning Communities

I just opened my blog to reflect on the presentation day only to realize that I haven't written anything about the learning communities heated discussion! It was the day when we decided to continue exploring the nature of our schools, and the communities that surrounded them and whether any interaction takes place between the school and other communities or not. It made me think a lot about my workplace and what it was missing as an institution that would help its students to become good citizens who can contribute to their communities. I talked about the teacher who volunteered to do the charity work in our school, so the administration appointed him as the events' coordinator. I kept thinking if this teacher didn't volunteer to do this, would the school care to do charity work? Would the school care to appoint events' coordinator? Why would i - as a teacher - care to be proactive when the workplace doesn't care? What gives me the push to go out of my way and do more? A lot of questions popped into my mind which i can't find their answers because it seems like a vicious circle. 

I also kept thinking about the equality between children from different communities and social standards. I remember Hoda saying she'll never allow her kid to play with the doorman's kid, and probably i would have the same concerns if i was in her place, but the thing is, as i grew up and joined pharmacy school in a governmental university, my class contained people coming from different communities and different social standards and i didn't seem to mind, on the contrary i think they fitted so well. I don't know! It's so complcated!

2 comments:

  1. Indeed it is complicated. But then again it could be so easy! In what ways do individuals, communities and society benefit from having people involved in work to help others? Who wins and who loses? What do we gain? What do we lose? These are the kinds of concerns that people the world over struggle with. Continue to think them through. Volunteer for some charity work. It can make all the difference to someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamis yes all of us were worried of that day thanks god it passed smoothly I liked all the presentation I would like to leave early but i stayed to the end to see all the others presentation while I was very nervous. Nobody knows what happened with me you can reead my blogger to know the feeling of driving the car with a dead laptop and your presentation on it.

    ReplyDelete